Go Back   CaptiveBred Reptile Forums, Reptile Classified, Forum > Lizards > Monitors - big & small!
YouTube Reptile Classifieds Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Barry_Scott's Avatar
Senior Member
Captive Farmed
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: portsmouth
Posts: 240
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default Getting a Nile monitor XD

picking up my first large lizard a nile so we are very excited! any one have any pictures of there adults? there seems to be no large niles around all i see are babies
__________________
Ryanr1987 on other forums
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Member
Fresh Import
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: england
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_Scott View Post
picking up my first large lizard a nile so we are very excited! any one have any pictures of there adults? there seems to be no large niles around all i see are babies

You'll be sorry ...............probably the main reason for not seeing any adult pics is because no one keeps their cute phycotic baby untill it reach's adulthood......the niles are not for novices,,,i had a 3 footer back in the late 90's,it was mental few if any will ever become "tame" or even handleable
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Barry_Scott's Avatar
Senior Member
Captive Farmed
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: portsmouth
Posts: 240
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandelierman View Post
You'll be sorry ...............probably the main reason for not seeing any adult pics is because no one keeps their cute phycotic baby untill it reach's adulthood......the niles are not for novices,,,i had a 3 footer back in the late 90's,it was mental few if any will ever become "tame" or even handleable
Seen a few docile ones i'm used to making some difficult ainmals docile lol the size is nothing really either can't wait have wanted one for a while. If it never gets used to being handled then am not fussed really
__________________
Ryanr1987 on other forums
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2010, 09:14 AM
ViperLover's Avatar
Venom
Captive Bred
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 15,155
Thanks: 3,117
Thanked 339 Times in 324 Posts
Default

Hi Barry,

From the information I can gather, a large Nile Monitor has jaw pressure strong enough to crush your hand, Kind of scarey when you think about it, isn't it?

Best of luck!
__________________
I do not keep any DWA animals..The majority of my knowledge comes from books and the internet and not from personal experience.
"You can wait for a lifetime to spend your days in the sunshine, you might as well do the white line 'cause when it goes on tour.... you've got to make it happen." - Oasis.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Barry_Scott's Avatar
Senior Member
Captive Farmed
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: portsmouth
Posts: 240
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperLover View Post
Hi Barry,

From the information I can gather, a large Nile Monitor has jaw pressure strong enough to crush your hand, Kind of scarey when you think about it, isn't it?

Best of luck!
I wouldn't really believe that unless there wa a source. a large nile is no bigger then a large argus monitor and a bite from an argus while still pretty bad was nowhere near enough to crush my hand. they can certainly do some damage and no doubt they could probably do some damage to bone. They are powerful lizards and could pose a threat for someone not ready for there size.
__________________
Ryanr1987 on other forums
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barry_Scott For This Useful Post:
ViperLover (23-11-2010)
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Scott W's Avatar
Administrator
Captive Bred
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London, England.
Posts: 30,544
Thanks: 1,631
Thanked 1,182 Times in 895 Posts
Default

I used to also keep a large nile back in the early 90's...shit thinking about it it was the mid 80's , I was 12. The nile was about 4ft when I bought it. Aggressive, would swipe it's tail the moment you opened the door to the room let alone tried opening the cage.

Was a great lizard to keep although looking back I wasn't keeping it how I would now, it was in a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft viv far too small. It actually broke out that cage, smashed into my Rotastak hamster cage, ate my pet hamster then buggered off through a hole in the wall. It turned out to be an old chimney. We had to take down my bedroom wall to get the lizard out.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott W For This Useful Post:
Graz (30-01-2011), Tango Mike Whiskey (03-12-2010)
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Barry_Scott's Avatar
Senior Member
Captive Farmed
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: portsmouth
Posts: 240
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott W View Post
I used to also keep a large nile back in the early 90's...shit thinking about it it was the mid 80's , I was 12. The nile was about 4ft when I bought it. Aggressive, would swipe it's tail the moment you opened the door to the room let alone tried opening the cage.

Was a great lizard to keep although looking back I wasn't keeping it how I would now, it was in a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft viv far too small. It actually broke out that cage, smashed into my Rotastak hamster cage, ate my pet hamster then buggered off through a hole in the wall. It turned out to be an old chimney. We had to take down my bedroom wall to get the lizard out.
Sounds evenful mate jesus poor hamster wasn't expecting a 4ft african monster to come after it.
__________________
Ryanr1987 on other forums
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2010, 10:12 AM
ViperLover's Avatar
Venom
Captive Bred
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 15,155
Thanks: 3,117
Thanked 339 Times in 324 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott W View Post
I used to also keep a large nile back in the early 90's...shit thinking about it it was the mid 80's , I was 12. The nile was about 4ft when I bought it. Aggressive, would swipe it's tail the moment you opened the door to the room let alone tried opening the cage.

Was a great lizard to keep although looking back I wasn't keeping it how I would now, it was in a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft viv far too small. It actually broke out that cage, smashed into my Rotastak hamster cage, ate my pet hamster then buggered off through a hole in the wall. It turned out to be an old chimney. We had to take down my bedroom wall to get the lizard out.

HAHA! Sorry, I am not laughing at the mishap, but I'd bet that you laugh now looking back on it?
__________________
I do not keep any DWA animals..The majority of my knowledge comes from books and the internet and not from personal experience.
"You can wait for a lifetime to spend your days in the sunshine, you might as well do the white line 'cause when it goes on tour.... you've got to make it happen." - Oasis.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Scott W's Avatar
Administrator
Captive Bred
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London, England.
Posts: 30,544
Thanks: 1,631
Thanked 1,182 Times in 895 Posts
Default

Laughed at the time too
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott W For This Useful Post:
ViperLover (23-11-2010)
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2010, 12:50 PM
ViperLover's Avatar
Venom
Captive Bred
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 15,155
Thanks: 3,117
Thanked 339 Times in 324 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott W View Post
Laughed at the time too

A sense of humour is what counts!
__________________
I do not keep any DWA animals..The majority of my knowledge comes from books and the internet and not from personal experience.
"You can wait for a lifetime to spend your days in the sunshine, you might as well do the white line 'cause when it goes on tour.... you've got to make it happen." - Oasis.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
All content posted is copyright of CaptiveBredReptileForums.co.uk